Friday 13 July 2018

Accessibility for Seniors and the Disabled

As I am getting older, there are lots of things that I can no longer do – that includes running with my replaced knee, downhill skiing, portaging my canoe. In a sense I am slowly becoming disabled. For others this happens suddenly in an accident. Others are born with disabilities.


Now it is a fair response to make arrangements so that disabled persons can have access to the basic requirements of life – lodging, toilets, transportation and access to food and drink. Other things are options that maybe cannot be provided. Surely there are there limits to what can be provided? We can not necessarily provide everything that everybody wants all the time. On a finite planet, infinity is not possible.

As a member of the senior aging class, I am worried that the “me generation” is invading our ranks. We seniors seem to want everything to be provided for us; not just the basics, but all the options as well. As our segment of the population grows and the younger millennials, relatively speaking, decreases, I can foresee a societal collapse on the horizon. This would happen if the elderly use up more of the world’s resources and thus exceed the productive capacity of the young.

No comments:

Post a Comment