Sunday 28 October 2018

Why I now travel less


I am retired. One would assume that this would be the time to travel and see the world. However, for several reasons, I am now travelling much less than I did before. 

(1) One reason is environmental. George Monbiot spent most of his life analyzing the forthcoming environmental crisis. He then sought to find practical ways to cope with it. For example, when he approached aviation, apart from using more electronic means of communication (phone, Skype, internet) he could see no workable alternative to air travel. To quote him,

When I come to examine aviation, I discover there are simply no effective technological solutions… I am forced to conclude that the only possible answer is a massive reduction in flights (emphasis mine, from “Heat” by George Monbiot, 2006).

You may say that surely air travel is not such a big contributor to global warming; however, this is not the case. Again quoting George Monbiot,

The UK government expects air travel to double by 2030, by which time air travel will  be the biggest contributor to global warming (again, emphasis mine), and,

If aviation continues to grow as the government envisions it will account for 50% of our carbon emissions.

These statistics can be debated. However, a recent UN ICAC report (2016) states that the global aviation sector could consume as much as 27% of the world’s carbon budget by 2050.

(2) The second reason is that because of my past work, I have travelled a lot in airplanes. In terms of seeing much of the world, I can say, “Been there, done that”. 

Now you must be saying, “What a hypocrite, he has travelled a lot and now he is implicitly advising us to travel less”.

Yes, you would be right. The fact that I have travelled a lot makes it easier to cut back now. In fact, changing world realities have largely patterned my behaviour.

In the 1950s, in the age of the car, I was crazy about cars. At the age of 17, I bought my first used car.

From the 1960s to the 1990s, when international development was the rage, I was deeply involved in flying around the world doing work on international water projects.

In the 2000s as environmental realities began to take hold, I changed my priorities, accordingly.

I have not been an early adopter so much as I have been one to follow the new realities about our environment. This accounts for my solar panels, my electric car and mania for biking.

(3) Third, air travel is costly, and I am discovering better things to do with my money. I am privileged but I have been in desperate countries (Congo, Gaza, Haiti). These trips made me aware of the affluent bubble I live in. Using my resources to benefit others simply gives me more enjoyment and satisfaction than squandering them on myself.

(4) Fourth, there is the effects of age. Because of my lower physical energy levels, my active interests are more centred here in Ottawa and nearby. There are many important activities to fill my days with here. For instance, I am active with the local Quakers and with the Ottawa Water Study/Action Group (OWSAG), which I helped co-found. I am involved with Canadians for Human Rights (CHRC), which also I co-founded. Other organizations I am involved with include the Ottawa Renewable Energy Cooperative (OREC), which promotes solar energy projects here in Ottawa and Bike Ottawa, which promotes biking.

(5) For political reasons, I regret to admit that I am less inclined to travel to the United States now that the Trump administration is in control of things.

(6) I am now winding down and am decluttering, getting rid of stuff and learning to live more simply. This takes time and effort.

(7) Finally, people are welcome to come and visit me, instead of vice-versa.


No comments:

Post a Comment