Wednesday 20 March 2013

Development: Living in a world of affluence

I am incredibly privileged. I have never known hunger. If I fall ill medical services are available. I have had opportunities to study and work. I am surrounded by electronic gadgets that make my life comfortable and interesting. I can speak out freely. I can travel without hindrance... and so the list goes on and on.

I have often pondered why this is so. By what historical and geographical accident did I happen to be born into such a place and time in history? This state of widespread affluence has not always existed in the history of the world. In fact it is not the case for many people today both in struggling underdeveloped countries and even among the poor in our very midst.

In 1958 John Kenneth Galbraith wrote a book, “The Affluent Society”. In it he described and analyzed the emergence of this widespread affluent society. Such a phenomenon has been rare in history and is still not shared by many of the world’s inhabitants. Many persons, wrapped in the womb of the affluent society, take it as the norm, but it is still not so for many of the world’s struggling people.

Earlier in the late 19th century, Karl Marx writing in England after the industrial revolution analyzed how the wealth of the few was based on the exploitation of the many. Worldwide this still holds true. For example industrialized countries are now busy extracting fossil and mineral resources throughout the globe. As home resources have been exhausted, rich countries have spread their tentacles into poorer developing areas. The result is often unfair exploitation by powerful multinational corporations that leave these countries poor and often with damaged environments (see “Noir Canada; Pillage, corruption et criminalité en Afrique” by Alain Deneault, and “Open Veins of Latin America” by Eduardo Galeano)

I have spent a lot of time in these developing countries. Originally in my youth, with my family, I went as a volunteer to work in Tanzania. I eventually ended up working there for 7 years. I have since been back to Africa, Latin America and the Middle East many times doing development work in water supply and sanitation. Eventually the root causes of the world’s unequal development have become clearer to me. As a result I have slowly shifted from water/sanitation development to human rights work. I recall the saying of Dom Helder Camara of Brazil, “When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint; when I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist”.

So, are my many privileges which I previously mentioned somehow linked to the exploitation of the poor? And if they are, what should I do about it? For me this sense of gratitude for my privileges should be converted into action. If it is true that my privilege rests upon the exploitation of others who are less fortunate, then the obligation is on me to act to tackle this inequality. There are many reasons to do this. At the very least, if the poor become desperate enough they can react in desperate ways. Suicidal acts of violence and massive disruption can be expected if the growing gap between the rich and the poor is allowed to progress.

I think it has been well documented that gross wealth inequality leads to increasing social and health problems ( see “Spirit Level; Why greater equality makes societies stronger” by Wilkinson and Pickett). The graph below sums up many of the findings of the Spirit Level.




It can be shown that a more equal and just world is better for everybody, even for those who are better off. Therefore working for a more equal society will benefit us all. So why then do we not as a world community strive for a more just and equal society?

I have often been intrigued at the arguments of the privileged class as they defend their privileges. They often say that they have worked hard to gain their privileges and nobody is going to take them away from them. They are very suspicious of lazy and dependent people who are just looking for handouts. However, poor people often work harder that the privileged elite classes. Whatever the reason given, the natural response of many of the privileged class is always,”Don’t touch my privileges!”. And so their enormous wealth is sequestered away in tax havens and tax increases are rigorously opposed. Thankfully there are some notable exceptions to this tendency (i.e. Warren Buffet and Bill Gates, for example).

The standard reaction of the privileged class is evidence of their own self-interest working overtime. Unfortunately their self interest reflects a very short term and parochial viewpoint. One should not underestimate the power of self-interest to justify the status quo, especially when one is on top of the pile. However, this self-interest gone amuck can ultimately be self destructive for societies.

It is not enough to critique the system, the real question is – What can be done about it? I think that the answer needs to be in two parts – (1) what can I personally do, and (2) what can be done to change the larger society?

The first step here is extremely important. As I try to adjust my lifestyle to agree with my words some amazing things begin to happen. Firstly, I see how enmeshed I am in the affluent society. I benefit from the advantages of a modern industrialized society. I buy and over consume food products that come from afar when I could buy more locally grown food. I do things that are wasteful and even harmful to the planet. As I take steps to reverse this trend I begin to see how difficult the process of change will be. I begin to see the enormity of the problems before me.

One step in this process that I have found useful is to ‘follow the money”. It is quite illuminating to calculate where my money is going. A practical step here is to begin to give enough money to charitable foundations, so that I can effectively reduce my tax burden to zero, or close to it. Then one can rethink one’s mode of transportation. How about using bikes, buses and walking instead of too much dependence on cars? Next you can consider the foods you eat, the recreation you do, and the list goes on.

Changing one’s lifestyle is a necessary but not sufficient condition for the change we need. Eventually we need to move together to work for a change in the larger society. We can start this together in small committed groups. As Margaret Mead has said, “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has”. For example, a small group of mostly Quakers, in cooperation with others, were instrumental in bringing about the abolition of slavery in the UK (see “Bury the Chains” by Adam Hochschild).

Often the stand of an individual can be the spark to bring about profound social change. Rosa Park’s valiant stand in a segregated bus was a key step in the march towards eliminating racial discrimination in the US south. Ghandi lead an inspiring salt march protest which was pivotal in the liberation of India from British colonial rules. Archbishop Oscar Romero’s brave stand against state sponsored death squads eventually led to a change in the political landscape of El Salvador.

In all of the above, committed individuals led the way to change in their day. That same Spirit can work in us today to bring about the change we need.

Rebellious Seeker, Ottawa, March, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment